Sunday, June 14, 2009

MS1000 cheapskate DIY Variant(Prototype extremely ugly)

^ Distancers stuck on with ugly tape ^

^ Distancers and driver exposed ^

^ Overall look ^
Firstly,for those of you who haven't heard about the MS1000,read more about it here.

I had always been intrigued by the wide variety of mods avaliable for the MS1 and other Grado Headphones and today was my first step into them.

So this mod was done out of pure boredom and curiosity.I had a bottle of colour pencils lying around and they had this plastic cap.I took the risk and violently raped cut the covering out,leaving me with the sides of the plastic.I stuck it on to one side of my MS-1 using some black tape(ugly) and capped the stock pads on and listened. First impressions were,the bass was less impactful but also less fatiguing to listen to(sounded like the bass with the Voyager) .The soundstage also opened up by quite a big margin.I'm not good at describing sound and thus this "impression explaining" will be quite a shallow one.

One thing is,instead of the small 12-14mm height of the normal wooden distancers,mine is about 20+mm in height and it dosen't have that hump at the top(for holding the pads) but I think it works fine now.I should be getting PVC pipes to replace the bottle cover and I will find a way to secure the pads.

Watch this space for more updates on this mod.
(Pardon the shitty camera pics)

No comments:

Post a Comment